Saturday, April 25, 2015

Goodbye (for now), civil service

Okay, this may come as a big surprise, but I'm no longer with the civil service.

Yep, that was a pretty short stint, considering that I got the job just about a year ago.

I'm not going to explain in detail why I left as it's a long and fairly complicated story. Let's just put it this way: while there were some issues, I left the organization on a good note and I enjoyed my time there on the whole. I would have stayed on a little longer if I could, the folks there were generally nice and I did learn a lot, but it was time for me to move on. So, I left.

Leaving wasn't easy though. I think the hardest part was giving up my public service card on my last day. I had been a civil servant for about year and had gotten used to thinking of myself as one, so to have to give up this symbol of the civil/ public service felt like having to let go of a particular aspect of my identity. Ah well. I can be sentimental like that.

I wouldn't rule out returning to the civil service again. I like its ethos of "service, integrity and excellence" and having worked there for a year, I have gained a greater appreciation for the thousands of men and women who help to keep the country running. But now that I am about to embark on a new start in life, I'd like to explore other industries and professions too. Perhaps do a career switch. It's a vast unknown out there, but full of possibilities too. I am young. I am not married yet. I have no major commitments holding me back. There's no better time to climb the rope from the well to the stars than now.

No comments:

Post a Comment